Wednesday: An Attractive Classic Turned into a Mystery

Photo Credit: TV Insider

Remakes can be a challenge. Is it original enough? Does it hold up compared to the beloved source? The Addams Family is a classic with a huge following that has been done many times over the years. Each one has had a different vision, and some have been good and some not so much. So, when it was announced that Netflix was doing its own version, you can imagine the amount of backlash that was received. After watching the eight-episode series, I can say that it was good and does stand on its own.

This version was imagined by Tim Burton, known for his creepy and gothic works like Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, experience which makes him a great fit for this kind of project. This version mainly focuses on Addams’s daughter, Wednesday, and her time in her new school, Nevermore Academy, a place for all kinds of outcasts, werewolves, sirens, vampires – you name it. Her time there quickly takes a turn after a string of murders happens that could possibly be connected to the town’s weird history. Wednesday works to solve the case and catch the killer with the help of some new and familiar characters. The new show has already broken many records, making it the second most-streamed show on Netflix, right behind season four of Stranger Things. It has also created a now-viral TikTok dance – thank you, Jenna Ortega.

Something to highlight is how beautiful everything looked. There were a lot of great shots throughout the series, coloring to match the show’s mood and tone, and costumes to match each character. The hair, makeup, and costume department really went all out, and it shows. Another thing to highlight is Jenna Ortega’s performance as Wednesday Addams. Ortega went all out to play this role, from learning to play the cello and how to fence even retaking any shot where she was seen blinking. She kept the stoic and creepy Wednesday we all know while adding her own spin, making her even more likable. The show has actors like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Luis Guzman playing familiar characters like Morticia and Gomez Addams – and people like Gwendoline Christie (Larissa Weems) and Riki Lindhome (Dr. Valerie Kinbott) playing new characters. Even Christina Ricci, who played Wednesday Addams in the 90s films, makes an appearance as Marilyn Thornhill, the dorm mother to Wednesday. There are more new characters like Enid Sinclair (Emma Meyers), Xavier Thorpe (Percy Hynes White), and Tyler Galpin (Hunter Doohan), who help Wednesday while also bringing out a different side of her. One thing this show does well is introducing interesting characters that help tell the story and not steal the spotlight.

Here’s the downside to the show: the story is just okay. It’s nothing new or particularly exciting. The murder mystery alone was predictable and easy to solve, making it kind of boring. It’s fun to watch mysteries that leave clues as to who the killer is, but it isn’t fun when the clues and killer are obvious from the beginning. The show itself is just okay, but the actors and their performances are what make the show great.

Wednesday was renewed for season two earlier in January, and the plan is reportedly to focus more on the other Addams family members and additional characters. Hopefully, they will keep the mystery aspect of the show but with better writing next time.