Panther Women:

An Army for the Liberation
Panther+Women%3A
Contributors: Danielle Webster

On Saturday, April 27, Panther Women: An Army for the Liberation, played at the UIS Studio Theatre. This production was written by India Nicole Burton and directed by Myesha-Tiara and featured talented actresses such as Aurora Thorpe, who played Journey and was cast as the first trans-woman to star in the role. Aneesah Hemei, Autumn Nicole, Jajwanica Brockington, Chynna Miller, Kayte Ingram, and Yaz Hamilton were cast alongside Aurora, playing powerful Civil Rights leaders and other supporting characters to share the Panther Women’s narratives.

Throughout the story, Panther Women reflects upon and explores these women’s anger, fears, disappointments, irritations and sisterhood across time and space. Panther Women also reflects how these sisters are united through their shared experiences of brutality and inequality in a time when their contributions were often disregarded. The play emphasizes self-discovery through the stories of these women who were part of the Black Liberation Movement and the Black Panther Party. Burton’s play incorporates monologues, dance, poetry and song as it explores the important pursuit of justice during the Civil Rights Movement.

Content Warning: There are discussions of violence against women and racism within Panther Women that some may find offensive, as well as sexual content or innuendos and explicit language usage as well.