Springfield Local Election Results

A voting booth at a polling place in Sangamon County on November 8, 2022 | Photo credit: Sam Ratliff/WICS

The city of Springfield had its consolidated election on April 4. This one was different from the November election because, this time, constituents were voting on local officials for the city. Election candidates spent months canvassing, door-knocking, and advertising themselves for their desired position. For the city of Springfield, there were many positions that candidates could run for, along with positions for village and school boards.

Here is the specific breakdown of the election results:

Graphic Design by Kehinde 'Kenny' Adesina, Multimedia Editor

Springfield Mayor: There were two candidates up for election for Springfield mayor. One being long-time city official and mayor Jim Langfelder and the other being City Treasurer Misty Buscher. Jim Langfelder held 12,782 votes, while his challenger Misty Buscher had 13,554 votes, with 100% of the precincts fully reporting. Overall, Misty Buscher won the election, receiving 51.47% of the votes compared to Langfelder’s 48.53% of the votes. This was quite a surprise for many since the Langfelder name has been rooted in Springfield city government for years.

Springfield City Treasurer: There were three candidates up for election for the position of City Treasurer. Colleen Redpath Feger held 11,654 votes, Lisa Badger held 6,349, and Bill McCarty held 7,417, with 100% of the precincts fully reporting. Colleen Redpath Feger won the election, receiving 45.85% of the votes compared to her opponents, who received 24.98% of the votes for Lisa Badger and 29.18% of the votes for Bill McCarty.

Ward 1 Alderperson: Only one candidate was running for Alderperson of Ward One, and that was Chuck Redpath. He received 2,687 votes, with 100% of the precinct reporting.

Ward 2 Alderperson: Only one candidate was running for Alderperson of Ward 2, and that was Willie DeShawn Gregory. He received 1,217 votes, with 100% of the precinct reporting.

Ward 3 Alderperson: Two candidates were running for Alderperson of Ward 3: Roy Williams, Jr., and William Eddington. Roy Williams, Jr. had held the position before being challenged by William Eddington. Williams received 824 votes compared to his opponent, who received 703 votes with 100% of the precincts reporting. Williams maintained his title and received 53.96% of the votes compared to Eddington’s 46.04%.

Ward 4 Alderperson: Three candidates were running for Alderperson of Ward 4: Larry Rockford, Jason Ratts, and David Yankee. Rockford received 1,169 votes, Ratts received 963 votes, and Yankee Received 470 votes, with 100% of the precincts reporting, giving Rockford the election with 44.93% of the votes, with 37.01% of the votes going to Ratts and 18.06% of the votes for Yankee.

Ward 5 Alderperson: Two candidates were running for Alderperson of Ward 5: Lakeisha Purchase and Sam J. Cahnman. Purchase received 1,056 votes, while Sam J. Cahnman received 441 votes, with 100% of the precincts reporting, meaning Purchase won the election with 70.54% of the votes, while Cahnman received only 29.46%.

Ward 6 Alderperson: Two candidates were running for Alderperson of Ward 6: Alyssa Haaker and Jennifer Notariano. Haaker received 970 votes while Notariano received 1,349, with a 100% of the precincts reporting. Notariano won the election with 58.17% compared to Haaker’s 41.83%.

Ward 7 Alderperson: Two candidates were running for Alderperson of Ward 7: Brad Carlson and John Houlihan. Carlson received 1,849 votes while Houlihan received 1,419, with 100% of the precincts reporting. Carlson won the election with 56.58%, with Houlihan receiving 43.42%.