The Poor People’s Campaign:

A National Call for Moral Revival.
Contributors: Danielle Webster

Regardless of where you go in America, you’re likely to come across an individual who is homeless. The signs may not be as obvious as you’d imagine, and more than likely, you know an individual who has experienced homelessness or is on the brink of being homeless. What’s worse, an outdated income-based measure is still used to define poverty, meaning that current numbers aren’t displaying the full scale of poverty across the United States.

A movement, began by Martin Luther King Jr, has been rekindled in the Poor People’s Campaign. The movement itself is non-partisan and seeks solutions to multiple social issues through demanding legislative changes. Some social issues the movement seeks to address besides poverty are those related to ecological devastation, systematic racism, medical care inconsistencies and mass incarceration.

On Saturday, March 2 at 10 a.m. a March on Springfield event is scheduled to assemble.  This event asks that attendees adhere to their Covenant of Nonviolence. Anyone interested in attending or learning more can follow the links below.

Poor People’s Campaign: A National Call for Moral Revival Covenant of Nonviolence – Poor People’s Campaign (poorpeoplescampaign.org)

About – Poor People’s Campaign (poorpeoplescampaign.org)