The Art of Un-War: A Documentary Film Screening Highlighting the Impact of Krzysztof Wodiczko’s Digital Art on Society

UIS Student at the Brookens Library Auditorium watching The Art of Un-War | Photo credit: Bwayisak Tanko
On Tuesday, March 28, the University of Illinois Springfield held a screening of the documentary film The Art of Un-War at Brookens Library. The event started promptly at 7 p.m., and attendees included faculties, students, and members of the Springfield community. The filmmaker Maria Nizo and the documentary’s subject, Krzysztof Wodiczko, also attended the event via Zoom.
Question and Answer session with the filmmaker and Artist | Photo credit: Bwayisak Tanko

The 51-minute documentary film began screening at 7:11 p.m. and immediately introduced army veterans and their stories, leading to the focus on Krzysztof Wodiczko. Krzysztof Wodiczko, born in 1943 during the Warsaw ghetto uprising, is an artist who creates works infused with technology. His pieces send powerful messages about war, peace, immigrants, and social consciousness. The film delved into his life story, his work, and how it influenced society on various levels.

Maria Nizo captured Krzysztof’s work, including his digital artwork on the statue of Abraham Lincoln, which impressed most of the show’s audience and organizers. Dr. Kat Novak of the UIS School of Communication & Media – also one of the screening hosts – praised the documentary and Krzysztof’s contributions to the art world during the closing remarks.

After the screening, the audience asked the filmmaker and artist-in-focus questions. The event ended around 9:07 PM, giving the audience new insights into Krzysztof Wodiczko and his impact on art and society.

The event was met with a moderate turnout but enthusiastic audience participation. The documentary film offered a unique and insightful look into Krzysztof Wodiczko’s work and personal history. The focus on his digital artwork and the powerful messages it conveys left a lasting impression on many of those in attendance.

The Art of Un-war | Photo credit Bwayisak Tanko

Overall, the screening of The Art of Un-War was a thought-provoking and inspiring event that highlighted the importance of art in addressing social issues and promoting social consciousness. The University of Illinois Springfield’s commitment to promoting art and culture in the community was evident in the success of this event.

The contributors to this event include the Springfield Art Association, UIS Brookens Library, UIS Visual Arts, UIS Student Life, the UIS College of Public Affairs and Education, the UIS School of Communication & Media, and the UIS Engaged Citizenship Common Experience.

Committee: Betsy Dollar, Allison Lacher, Sally LaJoie, Stephen McMinn, Cynthia Thompson, and Amy Watson.

Travis Bland, Shawn Boyne, Jackie Gillock, David Hecht, Patti Piotrowski, Cody Pope, Ann Strahle, Blake Wood, and members of the World Affairs Council of Central Illinois all worked together to make the screening of this film a reality and a memorable one for UIS.

The Art of Un-war | Photo credit: Bwayisak Tanko