Candidates for Mayor of Springfield Langfelder v Buscher

The Flag of the City of Springfield, Illinois | Photo credit: The North American Vexillological Association

City treasurer of Springfield, Ill. Misty Buscher is challenging Springfield Mayor Jim Langfelder for the occupation of the Springfield mayor’s office. Mayor Langfelder is currently serving his second term, and should he prevail in this race, he would begin a third term as mayor of Springfield. Langfelder is the son of Ossie Langfelder, an immigrant from Austria who would go on to serve as the mayor of Springfield from 1987-1995. Meanwhile, Buscher is a former Marine Bank executive, and her election would make her the second female mayor of the city of Springfield. Ironically, it was the first female mayor of Springfield that denied Jim Langfelder’s father, Ossie Langfelder, a third term in office. Buscher is also a Republican, officially switching from being an independent after the visit of President Donald Trump. The next mayoral debate will be on Feb. 24 at 8 a.m. at the Hoogland Center for the Arts, with election day coming up on April 4. Citizens must register before the election date by 27 days at the Sangamon County Election office. Residents wishing to register will need two forms of ID: one showing their address and one with their name on it.