Students come down with ‘blue fever’

There is an epidemic spreading across campus: Blue Fever. No worries, this outbreak is not life threatening, but it is infectious. Come out and Catch Blue Fever at one of the largest UIS traditions since 1996: Homecoming Week.

There are three main goals for Homecoming Week according to Student Life:

• Increase involvement of students in the planning process

• Increase student, faculty and community involvement in the week’s events

• Increase the amount of school spirit seen around campus

As laid out within the Homecoming Master Plan, the theme is chosen by making sure it promotes school spirit, is an interesting topic and can adapt to the parade. This year’s theme is Catch Blue Fever.

In the past, homecoming t-shirts were almost always blue, showing school colors. Students did not have the chance to add their own personal flair to the overall appearance of the shirt.

However, according to SAC chair Richard Prebil, the t-shirts that are given out this year are going to be white, and students will be given a chance to tie dye them during Homecoming Week.

Not all aspects of Homecoming Week are up for change, however. There are events such as the pep rally, spirit games, parade, BBQ, 5K walk/run, and the dance that are traditional events which take place each year, and this year is no different.

“Last year’s Homecoming was a week to remember,” said Zach Chase, sophomore communications major. “I am definitely excited to see what is in store for this year.”

Not only are the events planned throughout the week meant to get students involved, but they are also designed to get the families of students involved. Each year, family weekend is scheduled to take place the same time as Homecoming Weekend.

Make sure you come out and Catch Blue Fever by participating in the events set for this upcoming week.

Visit www.uis.edu/studentlife/homecoming for a list of events.