Meet The New UIS Men’s Soccer Head – Coach Graham Shaw:

“This is not a rebuild…We’re going to attack every single game. We’re going to be aggressive”
Contributors: Nick Marquez

On April 4 it finally happened. We replaced Adam Hall. In my four years as a UIS Men’s Soccer fan, it’s something that I thought I’d never see. The connection Coach Hall had with the University and his rapport with incoming players and those with a foot out the door of their collegiate careers is the kind of stuff that brings you to the conference championship final two out of the last three years. It’s a certainty that we would see a DII National Championship Tournament berth. It’s built upon the environment that sees conference players of the year and first-team All-Americans suit up for the Prairie Stars. Adam Hall was a player’s Coach.

It showed in his recruiting, and it was the primary beneficiary of his “win now” mentality. A perfect combination of affordable education opportunities and the chance to play for a consistent playoff contender made UIS a premiere landing spot for those looking to play out their collegiate soccer career in the Great Lakes Valley Conference. But heartbreaking loss after heartbreaking loss (after heartbreaking loss) leaves Prairie Star fans wondering “When will we finally get what’s eluded us for so long?” That elusive GLVC Conference Championship has been within reach of the Stars in recent years, but finals losses to UIndy and a semifinal loss to Maryville sandwiched between those results keep the GLVC title at bay, for now.

By watching as a fan and being a confidant for footballers who play for the team, Hall’s shortfalls became evident in those losses. From clear strategic vulnerabilities to some questionable substitutions, the on-field coaching part of Coach Hall’s tenure was being placed under the microscope of fans and players alike just before his departure. Now, the answer to questions like “Who’s taking Hall’s spot?” and “What will the Stars look like going into the 2024 season?” comes to us from Liverpool, England.

Graham Shaw is the product of the International Soccer Academy Tranmere Rovers Football Club and the Liverpool Schoolboys. He transitioned into coaching at the age of 16 when he offered his goalkeeping knowledge to local Liverpool clubs. In 2010, coaching opportunities in the Utah, Colorado and New Mexico areas brought Coach Shaw stateside. He would eventually settle in New Jersey for about three years starting in 2012 coaching Sports Domain Academy in New Jersey. After the 2014 season, Coach Shaw would move on to become an assistant coach to a familiar face, Maryville. Shaw would coach the Saints for two seasons before moving on to become an assistant coach with the Marquette Golden Eagles men’s soccer program until he left in December of 2023.

After sitting down with Coach Shaw, I was able to fully understand what the Prairie Stars will look like in the 2024 season. Coach Shaw stresses that this is not a rebuilding season. He recognizes the tools we have on defense and weapons we have on offense which assures him that we’re only a few pieces away from contending again this coming season. He also told me a regular-season championship is the baseline this year, the goal and projection for next season is GLVC Championship and to make a deep run in the DII National Tournament.

In questioning his preferred playing/coaching style as a concerned fan who loathes the American style of play, Coach Shaw calmed my nerves by mentioning he takes inspiration from coaches like Pep Guardiola and Jürgen Klopp. Shaw’s focus on a possession style of play with an emphasis on attacking the opposing team’s net and aggression around our own box has already been a highlight of practices according to players I’ve talked to in the past few days. And not enough nice things can be said by these players about how Coach Shaw is as a person already. A possession-minded coach who encourages shots off of great passing and is working on crafting a shutdown defense is the critical piece we need to finally reach the mountaintop.