Best Event on Campus:

UIS Springfest
Contributors: Sydney Deweese

Amidst the hustle and bustle of university life, some moments stand out as cherished traditions, bringing together students, faculty and staff in a celebration of camaraderie and spirit. One such tradition, the beloved Springfest, has emerged victorious in the recent “Best of UIS and Beyond” contest, claiming the well-deserved title of “Best Event on Campus.”

For years, Springfest has been a cornerstone of the UIS experience, bringing students, faculty and spectators together for one last hoorah at the end of every Spring semester. Organized by the dedicated members of the Student Activities Committee (SAC), this annual extravaganza never fails to ignite the campus with excitement and energy.

At the heart of Springfest lies a series of exhilarating events that showcase the talents, teamwork and competitive spirit of our students. From the adrenaline-pumping scavenger hunt to the brain-teasing trivia night, teams of students and organizations come together to compete in a variety of challenges, each vying for the coveted title of Springfest champion.

One cannot mention Springfest without highlighting its signature event: the mud tug-of-war. As the culmination of a week filled with friendly competition and togetherness, this muddy showdown embodies the spirit of Springfest, bringing together participants and spectators alike in an unforgettable display of strength and solidarity (and mud).

Reflecting on their Springfest experiences, students express a profound appreciation for the sense of community and connection fostered by the event. “My favorite part of Springfest would definitely just be spending time with my close friends,”  says freshman Kaleb Hild. “It’s a shame I couldn’t go to all the events, but I still had fun with what I did.” Senior Fatima Velasco echoes this sentiment, emphasizing the importance of the service projects that infuse a spirit of giving back into the festivities.

Indeed, Springfest transcends mere competition, serving as a testament to the values of friendship, teamwork and community that lie at the heart of the UIS experience. As we congratulate Springfest on its well-deserved recognition as the “Best Event on Campus,” let us also celebrate the enduring legacy of this beloved tradition, which continues to unite and inspire our campus community year after year.

RUNNERS UP: Rec-a-palooza, Welcome Week