What Did You Do Over Spring Break:

How UIS Students Spent Their Week of Escape
Contributors: Gianna Wolanin

The concept of Spring Break has been the highlight of a college student’s experience for years. While many may take the time to rewind, relax and recharge until they return back to campus, others use their week to catch a suntan and swim in the ocean. With the ice beginning to melt, spring begins to bloom, and so do vacation bookings. In this article, I will be uncovering some of the different ways UIS students chose to spend their spring vacation.

Whether simply to decompress or as a benefit to mental health, there were a plethora of activities available. UIS student Aubrie Mozingo chose to spend her break in Puerto Rico “I got to go to a rainforest, different clubs, and the beach for a few days. They also offered LED kayaking which I had never done before. It had a lagoon which fell into the ocean,” said Mozingo, “Going to San Juan was a blast, I was able to get a tattoo and see the old historic buildings down there all in the same day. There was so much learning of the history in Puerto Rico.” After months of winter weather, this trip was important to Mozingo because it gave her the perfect reset. “This was a new experience for me and it helped me be in an environment where school isn’t an option. I felt I was truly forced to let myself have fun and not worry about things that are school-related.” Not all students had plans like Mozingo, sometimes we just needed to stay home and chill.

Another UIS student, Kendal Kerrigan, felt she was able to do a little bit of both. “I got to go to Milwaukee with my friends one day. We were able to go antiquing and the Smoke Shack which is a barbeque restaurant. But the best part was being able to go to one of Milwaukee’s oldest gay bars owned by famous drag queen, Trixie Mattel.” For Kerrigan, this was the highlight of her break, but she also had a chance to relax. Unfortunately, she got sick a few days into the week, but this was her signal to relax even more. “Spring Break is meant for us to slow down; I was able to play video games and finally sleep in. This was my time to not stress over my internship, homework, and exams.” As the Spring Break memories begin to fade, it is time to shift our gears back to UIS and finish off the semester. As we step back into the rhythm of lectures and assignments, it is still important to carry on our revitalization, enthusiasm and energy into campus. Summer is just around the corner, guiding our steps toward the finish line.