Nicholson enjoying second year as head softball coach

Photograph courtesy of UIS Athletics Photo

UIS Observer Staff, Sports Reporter

UIS Softball coach Shannon Nicholson demonstrates what it takes to be a leader, a role model, an athlete, and a good human being. Nicholson is enjoying her second year at UIS and is demonstrating and inspiring all of the previously listed qualities.

When Nicholson was asked why she wanted to be a coach in the first place she described her love for softball and how she knew that she wanted that to be in her future. She explained how her love for softball is what truly outweighs all the challenges that come with being a coach. Discussing her softball and coaching background, Nicholson described how she went to school to study to become an educator. Nicholson acquired a graduate assistantship position at Illinois State while playing softball as a pitcher herself.

At Illinois State, she was later able to gain experience in working with student athletes as she worked mainly with pitchers, catchers, as well as recruits when fulfilling her responsibilities as a recruiting coordinator.

The Chatham native, now leading the UIS Softball coaching staff, has a platform to impact the lives of the players who are now under her mentoring wing. Players who have already been influenced by her guidance include Ashli King, who was named to the All Great Lake Valley Conference (GLVC) third team honors as well as the Daktronics Midwest Region team. Ten of her players were able to earn Academic All-GLVC honors in just her first year of coaching. Her coaching accomplishments don’t stop there as Nicholson was able to help two graduating seniors earn GLVC Council of President’s Academic Excellence list honors. Additionally, Nicholson led her team to a ninth placed ranking in the Midwest regional ranking in 2015. When asked what it’s like playing in the GLVC Nicholson responded by stating “

The values that she seems to appreciate more than others are effort and hard work. She stated that when it comes to recruiting they “recruit players who want to work hard and love the game of softball and who just have a desire to get better”.

Nicholson further stated that “every day at practice we want out girls giving their 100% in whatever it is that they are doing.”

In order to be prepared for games Nicholson uses practices as an opportunity to challenge her players in order to bring out her player’s best so they can be ready to express that on the field.  With a talented roster and a coach who is as dedicated to the game as much as her players if not more, the sky is the limit for the Lady Stars in regards to both academic and athletic success.