Remaking American Psycho:

A Mistake?
Contributors: Valeria Mendoza

American Psycho is a classic movie that’s both gory and captivating. The movie came out in 2000 and according to some, including myself, it was perfectly made. When talks of a remake started to appear online, there were lots of thoughts. Mixed emotions about the film stem from how the film was made in a time that was true to the film and its storyline.

The behind-the-scenes work also fueled some of the mixed emotions. There’s a certain irony that comes from the original film because it was directed by Mary Harron, a woman, and the film follows Patrick Bateman and his acts of violence against women in particular. This was interesting to see because the director chose to have him target women that he did not think were living up to his standards of what a woman should and shouldn’t do. The film already spawned a sequel in 2002 starring Mila Kunis as the “psycho,” playing into the gender role reversal. It didn’t do so well though, and most people try to forget that it even exists.

I decided to get some thoughts from my good friend Gianna, who is also a fan of the original American Psycho film. She said there shouldn’t be a remake because the first original “captured the essence of The American Psycho perfectly.” We both agreed that there are some movies that you just don’t try to remake because the first one was just that good, and that’s the case here. It’s a film that was made to be “deeply rooted in the culture of its era” and it would be hard to live up to this in a modern remake.

We also spoke about possible contenders to star in the remake and the list wasn’t that long. There aren’t many people we thought of that could compare to Christian Bale as Patrick Bateman. “He had the psycho yet normal look on his face,” said Gianna. We only thought of Robert Patterson as a possible contender for the remake because his looks have the potential to live up to Patrick Bateman and his psychotic way of being. Robert Paterson and Christian Bale also both played Batman which could be some foreshadowing… Whatever happens, the film should be interesting to watch, and it’ll be even more interesting to see how it compares to the original.