Graduation Day Inspiration:

Memorable Plans to Mark Your Milestone

As the school year draws to a close and anticipation begins to grow, we are only a few weeks away from graduation day. Excitement and nostalgia fills the air as seniors prepare for this momentous occasion. Marking four years of hard dedication, and the memories made, UIS students prepare their plans. Along with the traditional ceremony, many students are seeking memorable ways to celebrate this significant achievement. In this article, we will be exploring ways to make UIS graduation day unforgettable. Whether it is traditional or the embrace of the unconventional, there is something for every student and family.

Starting off in the traditional route, many graduates will finish their day off with a classy dinner, most still donning their caps and gowns. Dinner not only gives a toast to accomplishments, but indulging in Springfield’s cuisines marks this special occasion. A few suggestions to show off the town to family and friends are Obed and Isaac’s Restaurant and Brewery, Indigo, VELE and Joseph’s. UIS graduate Fatima Velasco has similar plans to this as she is “taking photos with my family and going out to dinner. Depending on what the family wants to try in the area, we will have many options. Most importantly, I will end the day with saying goodbye to my friends.” Taking the time to reflect on your academic journey and celebrate your accomplishments with who you love is what matters the most. We have come so far with a group of people such as our friends, who we are always going to deeply care about as we all part ways.

A more unconventional way to celebrate the ceremony is by enjoying the outdoors and organizing a picnic in the park on campus. This would be easy to do since there is no capacity limit and can be enjoyed by your family, friends and their families. Lincoln Memorial Gardens is another great place for this and provides some beautiful trails to walk afterward. If you are an online student and do not have the opportunity to check out the campus often, then having a picnic in this location would be great. Down by the pond are some very nice benches and a few shaded trees that are lively to sit under. This is a very peaceful place and provides a great venue for a family to celebrate its accomplishments. For a more upscale picnic, bringing items for a charcuterie board will deliver a delicious and visually appealing aspect as well. It is surprisingly filling and great to snack on. Another tasty and local option would be to pick up some sandwiches from Head West Sub Stop to liven up your time outdoors.

Graduation is a time to celebrate what you have done. Do not be afraid to embrace this and do what makes you happy. If you are in the mood for something much more laid back, like a Taco Bell night in, then, by all means, go get some tacos. There is no wrong way to spend your much-earned graduation celebrations. This is the time to ensure you are happy and that the plans after the ceremony are catered around what you enjoy!