Lift: Is it worth the watch?

Warning spoilers ahead
Contributors: Ellie Shonkwiler

Starring Kevin Hart, Lift, now streaming on Netflix, might not be worth the hour and fifty minutes needed to watch. The story follows an elite group of art thieves and their assistance in a heist to save themselves from going to jail. It is an action-packed movie, yes, but it lacks character depth as well as the comedy it claims to be. We get a brief overview of each character and who they are, but there is no connection.

What we do see is the apparent bond between them all, which is supposed to be enough for the viewers to care about them. The lack of character development really makes it hard to care about the outcome for them, which is the whole purpose of the movie. If this area was covered more, then maybe this rating would be higher. They also throw in romance between the leader of the group of thieves and an Interpol agent who is helping with the operation. It felt ingenious as well as unnecessary. They have a history that is so unplausible it makes the entire relationship awkward. It took away from the action and the storyline.

What was enjoyable was the unique style of shooting the film took. We get lots of camera movement through interesting places that take the viewer for a ride. At parts, it may be too much, but this is an action movie after all. The fight scenes were nothing but standard, they got the job done.  I enjoyed the graphics at parts, but some CGI was too noticeable. The gold that was being recovered looked like a sticker placed on the screen. For this being one of the biggest parts of the movie, it was very underwhelming.

Overall, this movie is definitely not a watch-twice piece. It is a one and done, then move on with your life. Action movies can be good enough to return to, but this one just lacks all what is needed to do so. In my opinion, Netflix flopped with this release. If you want something to watch mindlessly with some okay fighting scenes, then this is the movie for you. If you want a movie that has any possibility of holding your attention, do not bother.