Empowering Through Education:

Celebrating Women’s History Month at UIS
Picture+Provided+by+UIS+Womens+Center+
Picture Provided by UIS Women’s Center

In March, we welcome the celebration of and reflection of women with Women’s History Month. Women’s strengths and triumphs have resulted in remarkable contributions, resilience, and achievements throughout history. Here at UIS, we honor legacy and serve new platforms to amplify the voices of women who felt they have been silenced. As we commemorate Women’s History Month, we wish to celebrate the achievements of the past but also recognize the work that still lies ahead. The UIS Women’s Center has chosen to do just that, with a full month planned of events that inspire girls to find power within themselves.

Next week kicks off a few informational tables, all of them sponsored by the Women’s Development Center in collaboration with other different departments on campus. On Wed. March 6, The Office of Engaged Learning is conducting a Women’s Cultures and Careers event right at the north entrance of the Student Union. This event will highlight the many overlooked careers that women are “typically” not a part of as well as educating students about the role of women in different countries. OEL director Jessica Flynn chose this theme because the office promotes studying away and introducing internships and career opportunities for students (the event will also be Barbie-themed, including Barbie stickers aligned with all majors and minors, along with coloring sheets and mini flags from a plethora of different countries.

Other organizations will also be holding events throughout the month offering a variety of activities. There will be events to discuss what is important to students and their experiences in life. These include  SHADES, Sip and Paint, LGBTEA, Name a Woman you Admire, and several ECCE events. To benefit the community, there will also be WHM service projects for students to participate in. A screening of The Color Purple is also being held as well as a powderpuff game later in the month. Below is a chronological list of events.

March 1- SAC Kickoff: Music Bingo 7 p.m.-9 p.m.

March 4- Voter Registration Education 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.

March 5- WOD Tabling 11:30 a.m.

SHADES 12 p.m.

Sip and Paint: Paint Your Aura 5 p.m.

March 6 – OEL Womens Culture and Careers Events 2 p.m.

ECCE: Gloria E Anzalduas Public Drawing 6 p.m.

March 7 – Name A Woman You Admire 11a.m.

LGBTEA Trans and Gender Diverse Reproductive Care 4 p.m.

March 18 – I Love When Women 11 a.m.-2 p.m.

March 19th- SHADES 12-1:30 p.m.;WHM Service Project 12 p.m.-2 p.m.

March 20- UIS Womens Leadership Reception 5-7 p.m.

March 21- Rose Giveaway 1:30-3 p.m.

March 22- Feminist Friday: Palestinian Women Beyond Victimhood  3-5 p.m.

March 23 – The Color Purple 2 p.m.

March 25- Trans Joy and The Military 4-6 p.m.

March 26- SHADES 12 p.m.

Safezone History 2 p.m.

Powderpuff 8 p.m.

March 27- ECCE: Kinship Stories

March 28- Closing Event 12 PM

LGBTEA: TVW

The Whole month of March is packed full of events for all students to attend. If you are interested, please register on UIS Connections or show up at the designated times listed above. All these events will be free and hopefully bring in a large crowd.