Downtown graduate student housing complex nears completion

Photograph courtesy of Bluffstone LLC

UIS Observer Staff, Editor-in-Chief

On Aug. 12, UIS graduate students will be able to move in to The Villas, an apartment complex under construction in downtown Springfield.

The Villas, developed by Bluffstone LLC, is located at 300 East Madison Street and offers views of the Illinois State Capitol from some of the apartments.

According to Bluffstone’s Director of Operations Brian Gustafson, the complex has 72 apartments that will house 91 students.

Although not governed by UIS Residence Life, Bluffstone is specifically marketing itself to UIS graduate students.

“Though not a UIS project, this new living option will help revitalize downtown Springfield at the same time it provides an appealing housing option for our students,” said Chancellor Susan Koch in an email summarizing 2015-2016 achievements for UIS.

The apartment complex will include all-inclusive Wi-Fi, utilities, on-site parking, and group study spaces.

Additionally, Gustafson said The Villas will be a controlled-access community, which means doors will remain locked at all times in order to ensure security.

The Villas includes studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments, which cost $750, $950, and $1,300 a month, respectively. A $400 security deposit is also required.

Gustafson said lease terms are flexible and can be set up on both a nine- and 12-month basis.

According to Gustafson, The Villas is also currently in the process of securing a business to occupy commercial space within the apartment complex. Gustafson said the possible business could be a coffee shop, workout facility, or restaurant. However, so far nothing has been finalized.

The complex will also host several on-site UIS office spaces. Specifics on who will utilize the office spaces have yet to be released.

In addition to UIS graduate students, nursing students affiliated with the Memorial Medical Center and St. John’s Hospital, as well as SIU School of Medicine students, are eligible to apply to live at The Villas.