UIS Campus Senate Meeting Recap

UIS Observer Staff, Columnist

On March 25, the UIS Campus Senate met in PAC G where discussion and review of the Master of Arts in Political Science program took place. A resolution was also introduced to establish a concertation in finance for the Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration and a minor in finance.

Other topics of discussion are described below:

•The senate reviewed the political science M.A. program. Associate Professor and Chair of Political Science Dr. Richard Gilman-Opalsky discussed the benefits of the program. The online M.A. program has been in place since fall of 2014. Though enrollment in the program began to steadily fall in 2006, enrollment has been gradually picking up. The last three academic years have seen new improvements in the program including the online curriculum and specializations in public policy.

•Resolution 45-12, which is the clarification of promotion procedures for clinical and research faculty, was introduced. Chair of the Personnel Policies Committee Deborah Anthony discussed the changes made to the policy. Senator Stephan McMinn discussed and pointed out that there are still many confusing sections and language, in addition to inconsistencies throughout the policy.

•Resolution 45-13 was introduced, which discussed the clarification of the portfolio guidelines for clinical and research faculty. Deborah Anthony presented and pointed out the clarifications made to Appendix 10 of the policy.

•The senate introduced Resolution 45-14, which would establish a concentration and minor in finance. Dr. Jorge Villegas, chair of the business department, stated that “though the business program is comprehensive, concentrations provide direction for students with what they want to do, and finance adds to the choices and opportunities.” The concentration and minor would require one new faculty member. Villegas predicts the program will have approximately 20-25 students as a start.

•Deborah Anthony responded to the senate’s questions regarding course evaluations. She responded that “the current evaluation form we have is quite robust at gauging where someone is in the general ballpark with their teaching. It is not effective at measuring some of the finer distinctions between faculty members and should not be used in that way.” Though there is other evidence and sources at judging someone’s teaching abilities, changing the evaluations to be more distinct and informative would be a lengthy process. Also, faculty who teach online classes do not get anywhere near the response rate that on-ground classes get.

•Senator Megan Styles, a member of the Strategic Planning Committee, mentioned a new draft of the strategic plan has been posted for review and comment. In the draft, UIS is described as being “distinguished by its strong liberal arts core and professional programs, close student-faculty interaction, and emphasis on public policy and service.”

•Provost Lynn Pardie stated that the freshman acceptance rate is looking strong for the fall of 2016.

•Senator Betsy Goulet reported that during their March 16 meeting, the Board of Trustees approved the Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, the construction permit for the Student Union, and the provost intern.

The next UIS Campus Senate meeting will occur on April 8 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. in PAC G.