Senior Spotlight:

Kate Hummel
Senior+Spotlight%3A
Contributors: Sydney Deweese

As the May 2024 commencement approaches, the Observer would like to take a moment to shine the senior spotlight on Kate Hummel, a dynamic and driven student who has left a prairie-sized mark on the UIS community.

Hummel embarked on her UIS journey in the fall of 2020, transitioning from high school right into college life. Initially pursuing a Biology Premedical major, she soon realized that her passion lay elsewhere. Midway through her sophomore year, Hummel boldly made the decision to switch her major to Exercise Science with a minor in Psychology. The change was motivated by her aspiration to attend graduate school for Occupational Therapy, where the Biology classes no longer aligned with the prerequisites.

One of the highlights of Hummel’s time at UIS has been her involvement in campus events and the opportunity to connect with diverse individuals. She enthusiastically recommends participating in campus intramurals, citing them as her most enjoyable experiences at UIS. Additionally, her love for the Music Department allowed her to showcase her talents in the Sangamon Auditorium, with a particularly cherished memory of performing in the “Swan Lake” ballet alongside live dancers.

When asked about her favorite professor, Hummel didn’t hesitate to praise Dr. Yoder. Through his Psychology and Exercise Science classes, she says Dr. Yoder instilled in her the significance of mindset in performance, whether in athletics, music or academics. She highly recommends taking a Sport Psychology class with him, even if you aren’t on an Exercise Science track.

As a seasoned student, Hummel offers valuable advice to incoming students. She cautions against overcommitting too quickly, acknowledging the increased academic demands in college. Her practical advice includes steering clear of 8 a.m. classes unless necessary, as the college experience of early mornings differs significantly from that of high school.

Most importantly, Hummel encourages new students to be kind to themselves. Recognizing the difficulties of transitioning to college life, she emphasizes the importance of prioritizing mental health and utilizing the available campus resources. In her words, “Nothing matters more than your well-being. You are not any less of a person for struggling or utilizing the people who want to help you.”

Looking towards the future, Hummel has her sights set on a clinical doctorate program for Occupational Therapy. In August, she will begin this next chapter at Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio. As Kate Hummel prepares to graduate from UIS, her journey serves as an inspiration to current and future students alike. Her resilience, passion and commitment to well-being are a testament to the transformative power of the college experience. We wish Kate the very best in her pursuit of occupational therapy and all her future endeavors!