The Learning Hub helps students become more prepared

UIS Observer Staff, Staff Writer

Students can and should expect to be challenged by the coursework of their classes as they cover difficult materials necessary to grow, to learn, and to equip themselves for a successful future.

With that expectation, students should also know where they can go when the work is more than they can handle, which includes places like The Learning Hub.

The Learning Hub is located within the UIS Center for Academic Success on the fourth floor of Brookens Library and offers a wide variety of services to help students meet the challenges of their classes.

On their website, they give the following as areas of expertise: “Writing, math and statistics, accounting and economics, science, and academic/study skills.”

Writing Coordinator and Clinical Instructor of English Sarah Collins described The Learning Hub by saying, “The Learning Hub has a significant impact on students – most specifically in an academic sense. We help students to become better learners, stronger thinkers, more prepared for their professional careers, etc.”

So, how does it work? Collins explained, “The Learning Hub provides tutoring in several disciplines (writing, math, science, business, academic skills) – we have in-person and online appointments available every semester (including summers!) and walk-in hours where no appointment is required.

“We provide academic help through workshops (academic skills and writing) and through our Supplemental Instruction (SI) program in various science courses.”

The Learning Hub also promotes academic development in a more informal environment.

“We have study areas where students can come in and relax in a casual academic environment while they work on homework,” said Collins. “We also have lots of resources available on our website, www.uis.edu/thelearninghub, including handouts, PowerPoints, quizzes, videos, and much more. When in doubt, contact us to see how we can help you! (BRK 460, [email protected], (217) 206-6503).”

Not sure if the learning hub is right for you? Here’s Collins’ pitch: “Just come on in! No matter if you’re an A student who just needs a second pair of eyes on your paper or to make sure you’ve got the right formulas and approach for your math problems, or if you’re a struggling student who needs hands-on help to succeed in your classes, or somewhere in between, The Learning Hub can help you! Just give us a try and see what happens!”