Player Profile: James Range

“I take pride in telling people that I play college baseball. And for the rest of my life I can look back and say how lucky I was that I got to play for so long,” said junior pitcher James Range.

Range graduated from Highland High School and majors in criminal justice. Range is the son of Michael and Jennifer Range. He began his baseball career at the age of 4 and played all four years throughout high school.

Range said, “I fell in love with baseball when I could first pitch, probably second grade. I just loved being on the mound and having the ball in my hand. It came [naturally to] me.”

Range was a three-sport athlete in high school and was all conference for both baseball and football, however Range continued his career in baseball.

One of Range’s most memorable moments was when he was a senior in high school and he threw a no-hitter. “I was pitching at the local minor league field in front of the largest crowd of the year. I was just in the zone and I’ve never had a better feeling on a baseball diamond than after I got that final out,” said Range.

Range continued his baseball career at Southwestern Illinois College, then after two years, transferred to UIS.

Range transferred to UIS, excited to help a new program grow and prosper. “I saw UIS as an opportunity, an opportunity to come help start a program and an opportunity to get a great education,” said Range.

For Range, there was disappointment this spring. “This season, statistically speaking, was a personal and team disappointment. I did not perform the way I wanted to, just like our team; however, we have begun to grow as a team and I believe my team and I have learned a lot,” said Range.

Fortunately for UIS baseball, the program can only grow and get better. Range said, “For that reason I am excited for what next year has to bring. We will have a majority of seniors on the team, and I believe that the experience and knowledge of the game for this team can bring more success than this program has seen yet.”