Baseball wins game after rain delay

After having to push back the game against Illinois College (IC), due to the weather, the Prairie Stars found a win underneath the lights against the Blueboys.

UIS got off to a great start as sophomore Kyle Schildroth pitched four innings, allowing only one run and two hits. Schildroth pitched to 12 IC players before giving up his first hit. On the offensive side, the Stars scored first when junior Adrian Brown sent the ball flying into center field, making it a double and allowing junior Adam Unes to score.

But the play that gave UIS its dominating lead, in which IC just could not come back from, was when junior catcher Derek Shomon hit the ball over the left field fence for a home run sending two UIS players home as well.

The Prairie Stars then added two more runs late in the game, and allowed the Blueboys to score one run giving UIS a 6-1 win.

Following the game, head coach Mike Zandler said, “Any time you win, it doesn’t matter where you’re at, it’s a good thing. We pitched well and we had some big hits.”

This weekend the baseball team faces University of Missouri St. Louis, and according to Zandler, “They are doing the same thing they did last year, and going on a tear at the end of the season. They are very well coached, good program, and it will be a challenge for us.”

Zandler and the baseball team are going to focus on one game at a time and build of wins. Before they can play UMSL they will first have to play Quincy University.

“I don’t want them to be looking at the big picture. I don’t want them thinking 13 games. I want them thinking, ‘Quincy game one, then Quincy game two then UMSL,’” said Zandler.

With the record of 9-23, the Stars have 13 games left of the season. The Prairie Stars are currently in last place in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

The baseball team will be on the road this weekend, playing in Quincy against the Hawks on Thursday and then to St. Louis to face UMSL Sunday afternoon.