UIS CHAMPIONSHIP RING

Contributors: Elena Dimaggio

In contrast to the Olympics and European professional tournaments, professional and collegiate athletes in North America are honored with championship rings. Lately, UIS has experienced significant success, boasting a commendable collection of championship rings that serve as a testament to the achievements of our esteemed athletes.
As only one team receives the trophy from the league, rings are distributed as a collectible keepsake for the players who have won the various conferences. Championship rings have long been a part of North American sports. Sports journalists often use the number of championship rings an individual possesses, rather than the number of championship trophies, as a measure of their personal success. Indeed, these rings represent more than mere jewelry – they encapsulate the commitment, effort and exceptional skills demonstrated by the champions. Wearing the championship ring gives players a feeling of pride and achievement. The rings are made very carefully using materials such as gold, silver and precious stones. Each ring is custom made, and typically the design incorporates the team’s logo, the professional or NCAA championship trophy, and other symbols associated with the tournament.

The tradition of the championship ring first began in 1893, when Montreal Hockey Club won the Stanley Cup and ordered rings for its players. However, this tradition became more popular in the 1960s. Regarding baseball, the first team to receive the World Series ring was the New York Giants after beating the New York Yankees in 1922. Giving rings become more popular starting in the 1930s; before that, players usually asked for watches, ties or cufflinks. In a professional championship like the NFL and MLB, the losing team of the championship also receive rings (ex: Super Bowl) because they still are the winner of their conference. Lately, it has also become popular to give rings in American and Canadian collegiate championships.

At UIS, this tradition was embraced as recognition for the accomplishments of our women’s golf and men’s soccer teams in winning the GLVC 2023 Championship and Regular Season titles, respectively. The ring ceremony was held on Sat., Feb. 18, during half-time at the men’s basketball game. The women’s victory secured their first-ever spot in the NCAA regional tournament, marking a significant milestone for the team. Their journey in the east regionals concluded with an eighth-place finish out of 15, where Heather McLean progressed to the NCAA Division II Women’s Golf Championship as an individual. Elaine Grant and Alex Seibal were both named 2023 Rookie of the Year by the UIS Golf program.

The men’s soccer team’s fall 2023 season was the most successful one in Division II history with an overall record of 13-1-7. Moreover, the men’s soccer coaching staff has been named the NCAA Division II Midwest Staff of the Year, announced by United Soccer Coaches. Max Tweddle, Riccardo Sandulli, Andrea Scapolo (GLVC Goalkeeper of the Year), and Adrian Adames (GLVC Defensive Player of the Year) were selected by United Soccer Coaches for All-Region. Tweddle and Adames earned First Team honors while Scapolo and Sandulli garnered Second Team distinction. Additionally, the Division II Conference Commissioners Association (D2CCA) named Scapolo and Adames men’s soccer All-Americans.

Source for UIS Golf and Soccer teams achievements: www.uisprairiestars.com