Senior Spotlight:

Thaison Magett
Senior+Spotlight%3A
Contributors: Sydney Deweese

In the halls of the University of Illinois Springfield, there’s a familiar face that radiates positivity and resilience—Thaison Magett. With graduation on the horizon, Magett takes a moment to reflect on his transformative journey through UIS.

Magett started on his UIS adventure amid the COVID-19 pandemic, joining the campus community in 2020. Now, four years later, he will graduate in the Fall of 2024– walking the stage in the Spring of 2025.

Upon his arrival at UIS, Magett pursued a major in Communication, a path he continues to tread with unwavering determination. However, recognizing the need to bolster his academic repertoire and expedite his graduation timeline, he made a strategic decision to add a minor in Management. This adjustment not only broadened his skillset but also propelled him towards timely completion of his degree.

Throughout his time at UIS, Magett’s experience has been enriched by a myriad of memorable moments. From forging lasting friendships to immersing himself in diverse campus activities, he has embraced every opportunity for growth and connection. Magett fondly recalls the camaraderie fostered within the Student Activities Committee (SAC), where he reveled in the abundance of options for recreational enjoyment. Furthermore, his academic journey has been punctuated by engaging classes such as Small Group Communication, Voice and Movement, Principles of Acting and Environmental Biology. Additionally, Magett found fulfillment in his involvement with student organizations such as the Communication Club and RFS.

While he cherishes the guidance received from various educators, one standout figure emerges—Professor Amie Kincaid. Under Professor Kincaid, Magett appreciated the way that her classes were geared towards learning through experience, and how she took students’ applied effort into account when looking at the gradebook. As Magett prepares to bid farewell to UIS and embark on the next chapter of his life, his journey serves as a testament to the transformative power of higher education. With a heart full of gratitude and a spirit buoyed by resilience, he looks towards the future with optimism and enthusiasm.

As we celebrate the accomplishments of Thaison Magett and his fellow graduates, let us honor their dedication, perseverance, and unwavering commitment to excellence. May their journeys inspire future generations of students to embrace diversity, seize opportunities, and chart their own paths toward success.