‘Let It Be’ a Beatles experience

Beatles cover band Rain made its fourth appearance at the Sangamon Auditorium this past Sunday. The audience was up on its feet reliving the music of this British invasion.

Experience the Beatles with Rain is a Broadway musical show featuring music that the Beatles themselves recorded, but never performed live on stage, as well as some of their classic hits. The audience was mesmerized by “All You Need is Love,” “Let it Be,” “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” and “With a Little Help from my Friends.”

The band, made up of 14 members, rotated playing the roles of Beatles’ members George, Paul, Ringo and John. Each performer had identical haircuts, clothes, as well as demeanor of the member they were emulating.

Music wasn’t the only highlight of the show. On either side of the performance stage, were big-screen TVs. Those screens featured news clips, TV advertisements, as well as other video footage from the peak of the Beatles’ career. The audience experienced the story of the band’s success from its inception. Additionally, the audience was videotaped during the performance so that images of them swaying, clapping, laughing and singing were all a part of the experience.

Lincoln Land Community College theater professor Ken Bradbury attended the event. He said he had a great time experiencing the show with a handful of his students. He had bumped into a guy he “hadn’t seen since 1966.” The two of them had attended their first Beatles concert together.

Rain also encouraged audience participation during the show. They were able to get up and dance along with the music the band performed.

Tom Heavyside also attended the show and said that he had high expectations for the performance. Heavyside admitted he had never attended an actual Beatles concert; he was too young. The last time they performed was in 1966 and Heavyside was 11 years old at the time. His wife accompanied him and both sung along to all of the songs.

The audience begged for more at the end of the performance. One of the band members asked the crowd if they wanted one more and the packed auditorium bellowed, “Yes,” in unison. The band obliged the audience’s request and picked up their instruments to play, “When I’m 64.” The band started the song and invited the audience to sing starting with the young audience members. The band then closed with “Hey Jude,” where every single audience member sang along as well as swayed to the music. The audience left with a deeper understanding of the legends the Beatles really were.

Heavyside added, “Beatles music is good for your soul.”