Kick Off the New Year with Kickboxing

Contributors: Sydney Deweese

It’s nearing the end of January 2024, which for some means the end of our new year’s resolutions. We make them every year, right? Eating healthy, working out and losing weight are usually at the top of the list. The new year seems a natural time to jump in with new goals, but the only problem is that we often pick too many unattainable goals. By the end of January, we’ve given up because we couldn’t measure up to our own impossible standards.

UIS Senior Aubrie Mozingo is taking her health one kick at a time by showing up every Wednesday night for Campus Rec’s new kickboxing class. When asked what prompted her to join the kickboxing class, Mozingo responded, “I was interested in the kickboxing class because of the prospect of becoming involved in a group fitness class. I’m newer to the workout scene, and I appreciate having an instructor to work me through new routines that I can translate into my own independent workouts. I also love having a community that pushes me to complete all my sets, and it helps keep an upbeat perspective!”

Despite the class being “more difficult than [she] anticipated,” Mozingo will be inviting her roommates and friends to next week’s class with the hope of group fitness becoming a regular part of their routine. If you’re struggling to keep up with your new year’s resolutions, perhaps you should join a group fitness class. Resist the urge to do nothing just because you can’t do everything. Start small!