Winter Wonderland Wardrobe:

The Ins & Outs of Cold Weather Fashion

As temperatures begin to drop, there has been a shift in what students are opting to wear for cold weather fashion. No matter what the weather holds, there are always ways to be stylish with a little help from the handful of trends we are beginning to see as 2024 kick-starts. Identifying what exactly our winter wardrobe is comes with trial and error. Let’s unravel what is in this season and what can be left in 2023.

Starting with simple cargo pants, we have been seeing this almost everywhere on UIS campus. From workwear-esqe jeans to army green, the piece is being worn to class as well as out and about around town such as in downtown Springfield. Regardless of gender orientation, this is the perfect combo to wear with low Nike Dunks. Luis Fores, a student from the UIS soccer team, states, “this is my favorite type of clothes to wear to work as well as out with the team.”  So, what are Flores’ outs?  HeyDudes. The light slip-on that has been seen everywhere. “My roommate wears them, and they are just so ugly,” says Flores.

Another piece that is in full swing this semester is chunky knit sweaters! What is not to love? You can pair it with almost anything, from miniskirts and boots to sweatpants and uggs. Ellie Shonkwiler, a UIS Communications major and avid thrifter says, “a chunky cable knit, it’s comfy but adorable, warm, and practical.” All its aspects are ideal for winter.  As an out for Shonkwiler “extreme layering and mismatched patterns. There are certain influencers who try to style anything together, like seven different layers at once, it’s excessive.”

We all have our personal opinions, and in the end, all that matters is what makes YOU happy. Trends and styles are constantly evolving, and that is what makes the beauty of fashion. We’re given a blank slate to dress up with pieces that define who we are. Bows, clogs, and puffer vests are what enhance who we wish to be. Winter for us UIS students is nowhere near a halt, might as well make the best of these cold temperatures.