The Total Solar Eclipse:

An Out of this World Experience
Contributors: Melanie Gercone

A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity will be happening at 2 p.m. on Monday, April 8 and UIS students will have the opportunity to experience it.

A total solar eclipse will be taking place on this day. Springfield will not be in the center of this eclipse but 96% of the sun will be covered by this eclipse by 2:02 p.m. The UIS Astronomy Interest Group will be hosting a watch party for students from 1-3 p.m. next Monday. Activities will include pin-hole camera construction demonstrations, a chance for students to view the eclipse through a solar telescope, and the gifting of eclipse glasses for students. This will take place on the Student Union north patio.

The total solar eclipse occurring next Monday will pass over Mexico, the United States and Canada. Southern Illinois towns will be able to witness the solar eclipse at full totality. A total solar eclipse occurs when the sun is completely covered by another planet or the moon. While central Illinois will not witness a total eclipse, a 4% visibility rate of the sun for Springfield will be astonishing. Southern Illinois towns will be able to witness the solar eclipse at full totality. At 1:59 p.m., the eclipse will pass over Carbondale. This is an extraordinary event because the United States will not witness another total solar eclipse of this nature until 2044.

Students who attend the event or watch the eclipse on their own need to be mindful of their safety while viewing. Eclipse glasses being provided by the Astronomy Interest Group will ensure viewer’s eyes are being protected and any students who watch on their own need to remember to take similar precautions. Without protection, the eclipse may cause permanent damage to the eyes. It is unsafe for pets to be outside during the eclipse, as it could also damage their eyes. Proceeding with caution in your daily routine will ensure a safe and enjoyable eclipse viewing for everyone.

This total solar eclipse is a rare and astonishing event that students will not want to miss. It is extremely exciting for this event to be taking place in such proximity to Springfield. Be sure to join the UIS Astronomy Interest Group to get the full solar experience.