UIS WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: AN OVERVIEW

Photo Credit: Bailey Burton

Basketball is a team sport through and through. To have a successful team, you must have the right atmosphere and energy. According to Ella Mann, a guard for the UIS women’s basketball team, that is exactly what they have this season. Where this all began to grow was with their preseason, starting in August. With lots of conditioning and team bonding, before they even touched a basketball, their bonds began to form.

This has already proven to be beneficial in their current season. Last year, the Stars ended the season with a record of 4-24, ranking 13th in the conference, resulting in their ineligibility to participate in the conference tournament. Impressively, they have turned this around, and it is the change of atmosphere to thank for this. They currently have a season record of 9-7 overall and 7-3 in the conference. One of their largest wins was against the Drury Panthers. The Panthers are in the running for a national ranking, yet the Stars secured the win.

Coming up next for the Stars is a conference game against Southern Baptist University, who they have already beaten. This does not mean they can slack off in practice, though. Mann talks about how their strategy in practice right now is to focus on defense, saying, “defense wins games.” She focuses on challenging her teammates in practice so it will translate on the court during a game.  The upcoming game on Thursday, Jan. 25 is away in Missouri, but they are preparing to bring the same energy as if they were home. The Stars are having a successful season and hope to continue with their current win streak of four. Their main goal is to perform well in the conference tournament to prove that they are so much more than what they did last year.

Additionally, Coach Q is building a successful program that translates on and off the court. These Stars are helping within the Springfield community.  Just recently they participated with the “Fleece and Thank You” service project, sat in at a roundtable discussion for MLK day among other initiatives. It strengthens their character, chemistry and the community. This team has made a complete turnaround, and it is evident with their current record. There is much more to see from this team, and it seems to only be going up. As long as they keep their current energy, the Stars are going to see an even more successful season than they already do.