Whimsy Tea Company: Brings a bit of magic to Downtown Springfield

Brings a bit of magic to Downtown Springfield
Contributors: Danielle Webster

I’d been wanting to try Whimsy Tea since my son and I began exploring Springfield – however, it seemed my schedule never aligned to simply go and enjoy a cup of tea. That changed last Saturday, thankfully. First, it’s noteworthy that Whimsy Tea has partnered with multiple local companies that make use of their teas in differing ways. For example, Buzz Bomb Brewing Co. has created craft beers from Whimsy’s tisanes and teas. As I’ve enjoyed going to Buzz Bomb with my service dog, Lady, to enjoy a craft beer while listening to live music, it’s refreshing to know that instead of seeking to out-compete, local businesses work together to thrive.

Co-owner of Whimsy Tea Company, Gordon Davis, was present at the time of my visit, and exceptionally welcoming. The first drink I enjoyed (shown) was Yerba Mate’ Buchido Chai, which has an evened-out taste, robust yet sweet, with almond and cinnamon hints. I’d recommend this drink if you’re going for something with caffeine but want a lower dose than Starbucks offers. There’s an average of 40 mg of caffeine per 8 oz, and this amount of caffeine is 1/3 of the average caffeine amount in coffee – perfect if you’re worried about being kept up late.

One of the most impressive aspects of Whimsy Tea Company to me personally was how relaxed the customers were as they came and went, or stayed and met with friends or coworkers. While there, I casually struck up a conversation with a group organizing an activist event locally for a national organization, the Poor People’s Campaign. The atmosphere within the shop adds to its “magic” and ambience. Art from numerous local artists decorate the walls, while locally sourced shirts are hung on a rack at the front of the store for sale. Shelves displayed glass jars, decorative bowls, tea strainers, smaller pieces of artwork and full teapot and cup sets, complementing the shop’s laid-back surroundings.

During my conversation with the individuals planning for the Poor People’s Campaign, I decided to choose another tea to sample. Druid’s Harmony is part of the Tavernkeeper’s Tea selection and can be served hot or cold. I opted for hot. It’s a floral black tea with hints of jasmine and rose. Like any black tea, the aftertaste can be a bit bitter, so I suggest asking for it to be sweetened. The mini cookie (shown with my Buchido Chai) was a nice treat as a side to my drinks as well, though certainly they won’t leave you feeling full. Altogether my cost between both teas and two cookies came to under $12 (I did purchase a shirt for $25) which is much more reasonable than I had assumed drinks would cost at the establishment.

I do plan to return to Whimsy Tea Company soon, with my son and hopefully a few friends in tow.  If sharing is caring and friendship is magic, Whimsy Tea has perfect healing potions in its tea offerings for any weary traveler who steps through their doors.