Safety and security at UIS

Safety and security at UIS

Photograph courtesy of Leo Davalos

UIS Observer Staff, Staff Writer

Living on campus in a new, unfamiliar environment, can seem overwhelming, unwelcoming, and even dangerous at times. But by keeping these tips in mind, you can take advantage of the many amenities at UIS that will ensure your stay is a safe one.

Firstly, new students will immediately notice blue emergency telephones. These phones are connected directly to the police department, allowing students to quickly contact the police when needed. The phones should only be used for emergencies, but can be extremely useful if needed.

The UIS Police Department does many other things to help students remain safe on campus. Students concerned with traveling alone at night can call the campus police at any time for an escort.

The department also offers a Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) course for women on campus, which is a “comprehensive course for women that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance, while progression onto the basics of hands-on defense training,” according to the UIS Police Department.

Information about both programs can be found online or by contacting the department.

UIS also has an emergency notification service. Students can sign up at http://www.uis.edu/emergencies/uis-alert/ to receive messages from RaveAlert, which will send messages to all registered users in the case of an emergency. In these cases, registered students will promptly be made aware of the emergency and can act accordingly.

The UIS Police Department’s website outlines the university’s “emergency response plan,” which details various paths of action that the UIS community should take in situations ranging from a minor incident to a catastrophe. Students should read this plan so that, should they be faced with an emergency, they can best understand the university’s response and their role in the situation.

The campus police also list many safety tips on their website, including urging students to lock their doors, carry cell phones, and be alert to their surroundings. More of these tips can be read on www.uis.edu/police. The campus police department can be reached at (217) 206-7777 in an emergency or at (217) 206-6690 for non-emergency reasons.